Wednesday 26 March 2014

Fond of Opera and Bel Canto? Rent a villa in Mauritius Part-1

I imagine that very few people in the world had the chance to listen to Opera on a wonderful beach. At least 

I like to think that I have been one of these lucky persons.

It was my first time in Mauritius, an overdue winter break for my wife and myself. We had seen an advert for Mauritius, boasting a heavenly white beach and happy people relaxing on the beach; exactly what I was longing. We stepped inside the travel agency and 40 minutes later had our flights and hotel booked for a 7 night all-inclusive package. The kids would stay at their grand parents, no matter how much they will hate us for leaving them behind...

Here I was, three weeks later, enjoying my rest but getting slightly bored, with that strong feeling that Mauritius must have much more to offer. So I decided to go for a walk along the beach.

The beach in Poste Lafayette was, by the way, not exactly like on the posters; it was more natural, it was interrupted in some places by black stones but the sand was always fine and white. I remember having felt very well at that moment, probably the smell of sea, the call of wild, pure nature. What surprised me too, was the fact that around the hotel, there were only cottage-type houses and mauritius villas. Some very simple, others apparently new, modern and grandiose. Very few were open, adding to that great feeling of being alone on the planet; for sure, the whole beach was all mine on that day, that afternoon.


Surprises come in pairs I was told! And this was a great one. Fading in and out of the ocean murmur, I could hear my favorite  pieces of Opera: Mozart's “The marriage of Figaro.” I just could not believe it but kept walking, happy to note that it was getting louder and clearer, to the point that it was filling the whole beach space.

Peeking towards the source of music I could see from the beach, a couple on deck chairs, glass in hand, relaxing in what I imagined was a poolside deck. The house looked new, was nothing fussy but just very nicely designed. It had wide openings making it inviting and attractive. I thought I'd waive at the couple, just in case they were looking in my direction. Bingo! They waived back.  So, I dared a few steps towards them; the overall atmosphere was so relaxed, friendly and easy that every good thing could happen.


We met, we talked, we shared we drank, ate and laughed and my wife and I were invited to visit the villa. Made mostly of noble / natural material such as wood, cement, a thatched roof, it offered the perfect blend of modernism and traditional “at home” feeling. The American-type kitchen opening on the dining room, itself opening wide on the pool-deck and kiosk, all overlooking the beach and sea... No fairy tale offered such great setting. The master-bedroom upstairs was in the roof, yet fully air-conditioned, with its modern, tastefully-designed bathroom. A wide opening allowed an ocean-view from the bed. The other bedrooms were air-conditioned too and all very comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment